8:50am – 9:00am
Welcoming remarks from the Chairperson
9:00am – 9:40am
PANEL: Award-winning in-house teams
In this inspiring panel, you will hear from finalists and winners of the New Zealand Law Awards about providing exemplary legal support, compliance, training and advice on a broad range of matters across your business.
- Providing commercially savvy and robust legal advice
- Gaining the trust of the board, management, staff, external business parties
- Tips for creating an integrated, aligned and highly valued legal team
David Bricklebank, General Counsel & Company Secretary, ANZ
Andrew Cordner, Director of Legal, Fonterra Group
Kristy Redfern, GM – Corporate Services & General Counsel, AIA
9:40am – 10:20am
Leading and driving legal technology innovation in your organisation
New technologies can increase efficiency and streamline your legal service delivery. This session will equip you with the tools to succeed in developing and implementing your legal tech innovation strategy.
- Evaluating, comparing and selecting vendors and platforms
- Overcoming challenges when rolling out new technology
- Automation and artificial intelligence – is it right for your organisation?
- Best practice guide to implementing tech in an in-house context
Trina Lincoln, Associate General Counsel for Construction, Housing NZ
Morning tea break
10:50am – 11:20am
Contract law update: 2019
This update will provide you with practical guidance on negotiating, drafting and reviewing commercial agreements in light of recent legislative and common law developments.
11:20am – 12:00pm
PANEL: Change leadership for general counsel – guiding your organisation through change
The general counsel is uniquely positioned to guide the board, management and staff through the legal and regulatory changes and business challenges that organisations face today.
- Leading your team and guiding your organisation through mergers and acquisitions
- Legal and regulatory changes that are impacting business in New Zealand
- Structuring your teams to align with changing business objectives
Charles Bolt, General Counsel and Company Secretary, Fletcher Building Limited
Katherine Evans, General Counsel, Zespri International
Vanessa Simons, General Counsel, Kiwi Wealth
1:00pm – 1:30pm
Employment law update: 2019
1:30pm – 2:20pm
PANEL: Creating the legal team of the future
The role of in-house counsel is transforming, challenging traditional models of advice and service delivery. This session will discuss the biggest challenges and trends affecting in-house teams today and into the future.
- Driving digitisation and automation of high volume, low risk legal transactions to reduce external legal spend
- Preparing your organisation for future threats: cyber security, data protection, privacy and reputational risks
- Future trends in external legal services, knowledge management and advice
Hayley Cassidy, Chief General Counsel, Bank of New Zealand
Sophie Moloney, Chief Legal Officer, Sky TV NZ
Melissa Soh-Newstead, General Counsel and Company Secretary, Silver Fern Farms
Trevor Wairepo, General Counsel and Company Secretary, Kiwi Property Group
Afternoon tea break
2:50pm – 3:30pm
Delivering results on a budget
In-house teams are required to be more flexible and strategic than ever before while minimizing costs and resources. How do you provide a high level of legal advice and support while driving efficiencies?
- New ways to effectively manage external legal services and spend
- Drawing the line between the responsibility of the in-house counsel and stakeholders
- Evaluating and streamlining existing contract, asset, and risk management processes
Mark Heine, EVP, General Counsel & Company Secretary, EROAD
3:30pm – 3:45pm
Cross examination: Interview with the New Zealand Lawyer in-house counsel of the year
3:45pm – 4:30pm
INTERACTIVE ROUNDTABLES: This interactive roundtable session will provide delegates the opportunity to explore particular challenges and issues in more depth. Each roundtable is facilitated by a subject matter expert.
Table 1 – Integrating legal tech
Table 2 – Risk management in today’s VUCA world
Table 3 – The changing role of the in-house counsel
Table 4 – Delivering results on a budget
Table 5 – Legal updates in NZ
Table 6 – How to be an influential leader
Other topics: Privacy, determining the usefulness of contract precedents